Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Friends

Imagine that one day 2 countries went to war- yours and another.. and you meet one of your good friends on the battlefield- both draw guns and point to each other.. both have orders to kill their enemies.. would you pull the trigger?

A hypothetical situation as given to me by a good friend of mine... one day over a coffee. It was a good question nonetheless- one worthy of debate. " I wouldnt know.. people change in the heat of battle.. but.. my feeling is- that if he can pull the trigger and live on with it.. then he should go ahead.. because I wouldnt want to live with the regret of killing a good friend.." I said..

"It is a weakness ken.. your compassion" he said, quite blandly...

Is being compassionate weakness? I really wonder.. does showing compassion really matter in this world of cold cruelty? Perhaps I am such a person that relies alot on emotions- emotions and logic amalgamated together then give birth to a course of action.. Would it be harsh to condemn such compassion- an emotion as weakness? I really wouldnt know.. It looks like in itself- if i keep going this way I'm at the losing end of the deal.. the one always to be killed while others live.. but what is life anyway?

The scene changes- a bunch of my trinity college friends have just finished watching Battle Royale- a japanese film which is a movie abt a reality TV show about friends killing each other. After a whole load of "OMG THE HOT JAP GUY IS GONNA DIE" from the girls, and bloodshed.. there was along discussion after it- that if we-the bunch of friends, who amongst us would be able to kill amongst ourselves.. and thus it was said to me "Kenchin I dont think you can kill... you're too soft hearted" -what does that mean? Is it a good trait or a weakness?

I wouldnt ever want war- because of these things...

No comments: